I can't believe it's almost Valentine's Day already! As a writer for Crafting a Green World, I try to come up with eco-friendly ideas to replace your every-day item like Valentine's Day cards for your kiddos. I don't have kids, but I know how exciting it was to hand out and receive all of those cute little Valentine's Day cards. So, I came up with this: a Toilet Paper Roll Valentine!
They are super simple to make! Here's what you will need:
1. Toilet paper rolls.
2. A magazine.
4. Tissue paper. You could also use newspaper to make it more eco-friendly (perhaps the comic section to make it fun for the kids!)
5. Twine. If you have something prettier like ribbon, you could use that too. I just used what I had on hand.
And here's how you do it:
1. Lay your tissue paper (or paper of choice) down flat. Then, tape the beginning of the paper to your roll. This will help keep it in place as you roll the paper.
2. Roll the paper around your roll.
3. Once you get to the end of the paper, put another piece of tape to secure it.
4. As you can see, the paper is a lot longer than the toilet paper roll, so you will need to cut it. Use the leftover paper for another roll! After it's cut your roll should look like this:
5. Scrunch one end together and tie it off with your twine. Don't do the other end yet, though!
6. Before you scrunch the other end, insert your candy. The only candy I had at the moment was coffee and latte candy, but you won't want to give that to the kiddos, believe me.
7. Cut off any excess twine because you won't want to see it once you're done. If you had a pretty ribbon, though, you could curl the ends and make it look really adorable. Your roll should now look like this:
8. Now, take out your magazine and cut the letters you need to form the phrase "Happy Valentine's Day." Like I mentioned in the Magazine Ornament/Gift Tag post, this is a great way to get your children involved so they can learn to recognize letters and form words.
9. After you find all of the letters you need, make sure they fit on the toilet paper roll. Then, glue them directly to the roll. Once the glue has dried, you're done!
Isn't it adorable sitting on the sheet music desk?
If you want to make your toilet paper roll Valentine a little more girly, you can add some cute hearts! I simply looked through my magazine for pretty colors/patterns and cut a heart out from there.
Cute, right? There are so many possibilities with this project-- you could even put each child's name on their roll if you wanted to personalize it for each student in your child's class. Overall, these are easy to make, affordable, and one-of-a-kind Valentine's!
Hope you all have an awesome weekend! If you get a chance, tell me what you think of my Toilet Paper Roll Valentines on my facebook wall or in the comment section below! I love to hear from you guys!
Linking up at these amazing parties